THE European Commission’s President Jean-Claude Juncker has delivered a powerful speech imploring countries to act together to solve the worst refugee crisis in 70 years.
“I do not want to create any illusions that the refugee crisis will be over any time soon.
It will not.
But pushing back boats from piers, setting fire to refugee camps, or turning a blind eye to poor and helpless people: that is not Europe,” he said in the State of the Union address to the European Parliament modelled on the American tradition.
“We can build walls, we can build fences. But imagine for a second it were you, your child in your arms, the world you knew torn apart around you.
There is no price you would not pay, there is no wall you would not climb, no sea you would not sail, no border you would not cross if it is war or the barbarism of the so-called Islamic State that you are fleeing.”
To those who say there is not enough money.
- The wealth of the one percent richest people in the world amounts to $110 trillion—15x more than the wealth held by the bottom 70 percent.
- Global military expenditure stands at over $1.7 trillion in annual expenditure at current prices for 2012. http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending#WorldMilitarySpending
- The United States federal government has spent or obligated 4.4 trillion dollars on the wars in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iraq.http://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/costs/economic
- 2015 United States federal budget - Total revenue $3.34 trillion
- List of government budgets by country - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_government_budgets_by_country